Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Sprain, The Snake, The Panhandlers: Second Day of The Rae Lakes Loop


Author with sugar pine cones. Yes, they're real and they're spectacular.

I watched with satisfaction at the steam billowing up from my wet boots. It was already 10 a.m., a shamefully late start by hiking standards. I was still eating my oatmeal and didn’t particularly care.
Camp was at about 9,000 feet, amidst the cover of imposing sequoias. Higher up, there stood a backdrop of jagged peaks and late-spring snow cover.
Andrew and I were to march down to about 5,000 feet that day and then start climbing up again as we began to loop toward the high-altitude lakes at the end of our trip. After we finished eating, we set off down the trail. The path lost elevation gradually but steadily in its course along the mountain stream. Soon we began to see sugar pines, immense trees that dropped three-foot cones at our feet. The air was sharp with the aroma of needles and resin. Miles went by and no other travelers appeared to break the natural reverie.
Looking downstream from near our camp
Andrew was up around the bend ahead of me when I heard him cry out. He’d turned his ankle on a stone and suffered a bad ankle sprain. Considering that he had just bought a new pair of boots to stop exactly that from happening, he was not particularly thrilled at the situation. We stopped so he could soak the ankle in the icy stream and I climbed up some boulders nearby for entertainment.
As if the sprain wasn’t frustration enough, not long after we started back down the trail, I heard a loud rip from behind my back. The damn stuff sack! Sure enough, I saw the straps that held my sleeping bag in place had now ripped out of the stuff sack and most of my sleeping bag was now hanging out exposed. I jury-rigged the straps back over the bag as best as I could, but the uneasy feeling that the whole thing was getting ready to fall out again followed me for the rest of the trip.

More deciduous trees began to enter the scene as we started down the trail again, including some whose waxy leaves reminded me of holly. The climate began to look a little drier.
The trail started descending a tight series of switchbacks, taking us deeper into the valley. Finally we reached the intersection near the bridge that marked the lowest point of our journey.
The stream had widened into a full-on river now, emerald green water coursing over boulders. It was an invitation and a challenge to test that water, which had been High Sierra snow not too long before.
Another look down the valley

I managed to plunge in for about half a second before I had to scramble out gasping. Andrew claimed he would try and swim around a boulder near the middle of the river. After long physical and mental preparation, he finally hit the water and turned back to shore instantly.
We both sought the sunlight and ate cookies and raisins to get our energy back. We had a new trail to follow now, going north up one of the river’s tributaries.. A distant rumble grew louder in our ears as we hiked. Then we caught a glimpse of white through the trees: Mist Falls.
The river dropped in a thundering white train, exploding over the cliffs with 10-foot splashes. The crash of water was such that I almost didn’t hear a smaller, subtler noise closer to my ankles.
Rattlesnake!
It was just a small one. He continued to rattle as I jumped back down the trail. Even as he writhed out of the path, he kept his head trained on me. Andrew, who had walked right through the strike-zone without noticing, was not too happy to see how close he had come — he had developed a strong dislike for rattlesnakes from his time on the Appalachian Trail.
The thing continued to rattle and then slunk under a rock, safe from the crazy, shouting hominids overhead.

Eventually, the trail took us into deep pine forest, and it was time to look for a camp spot. We came to a readymade site with a steel bear box for food storage.
Had animals gotten used to humans here? Yes, according to the cocky mule deer that strode into the camp like it owned the place. The mangy animal walked up to within 20 feet of me, tried to give me doe eyes.
“Nope,” I said. “No handouts for you buddy.”
Then I made a lurch toward the animal, as if I might have gotten a sudden hankering for venison dinner instead of the macaroni boiling nearby. The deer wasn’t too impressed by my threat. In fact there were other deer nearby now.
“Ooh yeah. Real scary,” they seemed to say. “We’ve seen it all before tough guy. We know you're just another hippie who loves trees and eats granola, that you’ve never carried a gun into the woods.”
I stirred the mac for a little while, watching the antagonists as they circled camp.
Suddenly, I grabbed a stick off the ground and whirled it around my head.
“You think I’m kidding?” I shouted. “I’ll show you how crazy I am right now!”
The deer started to really run. I chased after, throwing pinecones at their hides.
I may be a softy for nature, but I do not feed the goddamn animals.
I scared those deer so badly that it took five full minutes before they wandered back toward camp.
Andrew and I took turns chasing them around. Maybe the two of us could help them unlearn some of what reckless humans had taught them. Then again, we were probably more of the exception than the rule. Clearly, they had already developed a strong association between human beings and free meals.
I’ve never seen such persistent begging from a so-called wild animal. It’s a troubling sign of how well-meaning folks think they “help” nature by creating dependence. Or maybe they tell themselves they are having some kind of authentic relationship with the wild when wild creatures eat from their hands. Either way, I was glad we didn't encounter bears with that attitude, because that would have been real trouble.


Flowers growing out of stone near Mist Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment