Sunday, June 10, 2012

Tarp tent again: Bear Lodge Saga (pt. 3)



There wasn’t much else that happened in my trip. I got in a beautiful second day of hiking, even though it started with a snow-squall.

I did want to share this picture of the resurrected tarp tent however.

Basically, I was camped in the same place as the night before. With the advantage of light and favorable weather, I did a much better job than I had the last time.

Not only did I not wrap one end of the plastic around a tree, I also folded the tarp in at the end, sealing myself in like a burrito. It made for a surprisingly effective seal against both wind and water.

It worked much better than the joke of a shelter I’d raised in Minnesota.

 Even so it was a cold place for anyone to sleep.

For my friend Andrew, now hiking the Appalachian Trail, will be sleeping like this for the next couple of months.

Helluva way to spend a night, I thought as I shivered in my bag. When I talked to Andrew last though, it sounded like he had been doing alright…had seen two bears already.

Next month, I’m planning to do some camping around Yellowstone or in the Teton Range with my friend Ben. I'll be getting a real tent for that one.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good Tom! I'm not sure I've had to tarp in such cold weather yet. It's amazing to think it is that cold up there still. The coldest I've had is around 30F with flurries and wind but it wasn't wet or snowing seriously. I was able to close off both ends but I didn't fold the tarp underneath me like it looks you have which I think would help cut down on the draft. Usually I have a much open set up with the sides staked out tight. I get a nice breeze and the tarp doesn't flap around as much in the wind.

    Looking forward to some stories from Yellowstone or the Tetons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making it 1,000 miles man!

    ReplyDelete