Friday, October 15, 2010

What Could Go Wrong

I'm running the Green Mountain Marathon in South Hero Vermont this Sunday, October 17th.

Well I've gotta get my beauty sleep, so I don't imagine that I will put too much thought or effort into the post. But don't let my haphazard approach turn you away. I have some fun, easily digestible bullet points, ready made for your consumption. The topic at hand is the entertaining subject of imagining all of the terrible things that could happen to me as I try my first marathon. Really, there are so many things that could explode on me. I don't usually think about them, which is probably a good thing, except when you consider that overconfidence can be a killer.

 I can't tell you how many races I've started out with well thought out plans to conserve energy and save it for a strong finish. And then the gun goes off, and I feel great. Suddenly, I no longer understand why I was planning on starting slow, really it makes more sense to give it all I have early on so I can get the best time. Some miles later, I'm exhausted, reeling drunkenly over the course, feeling as though all life and motivation has been beaten out of me. How could I have been so stupid?

So I have written down the splits that I need. I've planned out how I'll eat and hydrate before the race. I've visualized the exact pace that I want and have hit it consistently on runs. This planning gives me confidence, but nothing even close to certainty. I'm still looking forward to Sunday, but I'm looking forward to feeling strong and setting a great time. Would I be so eager, if I knew that I was destined to get a mother of a sidestitch at mile 12, that my feet were going to blister and I would slow down to a ten minute pace and drop out at mile 18?

Here are some potential hazards:

Overconfidence: (I told you that)


Undertraining: Truth be told, I entered this marathon as something of a whim. I made the decision to run out of a kind of bored frustration during a ten miler about a month ago. I was feeling fast and cocky, and needed to do something. Since then I have done three long runs: a 15, an 18 and a 22.5 The cool thing was that I did the last two runs at 6:33 pace and I felt better each time around. Still, the other serious runners will have put about three months of training in instead of one, and will be better adapted to that kind of running. I can't count on any kind of consistency from my body.


First Marathon: Plenty of competitors will know what to expect because they will have other marathon's under their belts. I have a lot to learn about what happens in those last 6 miles (the second half of the marathon.) Also, because I've decided that I'm not going to drive the course ahead of time I only have a fuzzy conception of what it will be like. I've pored over the map on Google Earth, I'll be deprived of the running shoes on the ground perspective. I'll have to experience it when I run it.

Chaffing: Only runners know the kind of mortal agony that a thin strip of cloth can inflict upon soft flesh. Blood and horrors beyond imagination. Hopefully band aids and vaseline should keep things in check.

Wearing Flats: I still don't know whether I'm going to wear my training shoes or my racing flats. If I wear the flats, I could be slightly faster because they are light shoes. The danger lies in the fact that they are going to give me a lot less support. Thus extra pounding about the knees and on the whole body frame. I also worry that they could give me blisters. I tried them out on an easy six-miler a week ago and felt the backs of them rubbing on my heels. Just like my attitude regarding chaffing, preventative band aids may be in effect in order to prevent disaster.

Wind: It's supposed to be blowing 10 mph off of Lake Champlain Sunday morning, and then pick up to 18. Wind can be a real bastard to run in, especially when you're tired already. In addition to adding resistance, it can really mess up your form. There is good news though: this is an out and back course, and with the wind coming out of the north-northwest that should mean I'll finish with a tail wind.

Cold: It's supposed to be 43 degrees when the race starts. I don't think this will cause a bad time, but it might make the suffering go up. Of course, suffering can be demoralizing, so it may in fact end up costing me if I'm not wearing the right clothes.

Miscellaneous Fuckups: I still remember the Boilermaker that I ran without my bib because I lost it the night before. Also, I will probably be getting up around five-thirty in the morning on Sunday, unless my alarm doesn't go off. It's happened before, and it could be trouble. I just spent about an hour memorizing the directions to Burlington and the race course in South Hero, so I'm about 90% sure that I won't get lost. What I'm worried about more is that my 1993 Mazda ProtogĂ©, which I've really meant to take in to the shop over the last couple of weeks, will decide that it's tired of the abuse, and get back at me by dropping its muffler somewhere along the interstate. 

Staying up too late writing a goddammed blog and being too tired to race.

Now I think you get an idea of what I'm up against.

Here's what I think could go right:

I'm listening to Jimi Hendrix during the drive up.
I pass a lot of people and take pleasure in the suffering of the other runners.
I'm not overconfident, I'm inspired to race to the fullest.
I go out and kick some ass because I can and I want to.

2 comments:

  1. Tom,

    I'd like to change places with you. It's an exciting time doing your first marathon. I've run many races,but only three marathons.

    I have some advice for you for the race:

    1) Forget about the racing flats. Run with the shoes you've been doing long runs with-the good pair-the ones you like that aren't worn too much, but are broken in so you won't worry about heal pain from rubbing etc.;

    2) Start drinking electrolytes and other fluids tonight up until the race;

    3)Don't pee in public unless its during the race;

    4)You are doing this for the first time so your goal should be just to finish;

    5)Don't-I repeat-don't-I repeat-don't go out fast. Try running with someone who's going slower than you were planning to go and talk. In other words, just enjoy being out there. Does he or she have kids-how many-where is he/she from- careers etc-you get my point. This takes the stress of the race off and you will pass the time quicker than you would have thought. Get to the twenty mile mark and have something left because you conserved energy for 15 miles or more;

    6) Eat pasta the afternoon or night before, but don't eat too much;

    7) You're probably going to sleep less the night before so rest a lot Saturday. Don't spent the day walking around, cutting the lawn etc..-just vegetate and R and R all day if you can.

    8)The 6.5 min/mile for long distance is pretty fast. That's a 2:50 marathon- a time that is difficult for even experienced young marathoners. I'd forget about that pace. Start out doing 7:35-7:45 min./mile and pick it up after 15 or 16 miles. That's a 3:16 marathon pace- not bad for a first time. If you can manage that and you have a lot left, try to run the last 10K in about 43 to 44 minutes. That's just over 7:00 min./mile pace. You'll negative split if you do that, which is always good.

    9) As soon as you feel the need to pee, do it-don't wait. You'll save time in the long run by stopping.

    10)Wear tights if you have them, several coolmax layers on top, thin gloves, and a baseball cap. Old clothes can be shed if you get hot. Vase under your armpits, nipples and between your legs.

    11) Borrow a more dependable car if you can so that isn't a worry.

    12) Take in fluids and gels every 30 minutes
    or so.- the stuff you've been practicing with-nothing new. Put some stuff you like in your pocket in case you want something and you're away from an water station.

    I hope this helps.

    Stop by my blog and let me know how you did. I'm sure you'll do well if you're conservative. I just started a blog in hopes of forming a group of people who have similar interests like running. Stop by.

    Go get'em!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ken,
    Thanks for dropping by with the advice/encouragement. I think I've definitely chickened out about the racing flats. Peeing in public is definitely a concern, though I think I'm even more worried about number 2. I'm taking the oatmeal gambit in the morning; hopefully it gets things moving. If not, there could be trouble.
    That's a pretty sweet blog you've got there. Looks like we've got a lot in common.

    Cheers!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete